When I pulled out my super bat yesterday to cut some feet on a large bowl, I tried to remember if I had mentioned it or explained here. Hmmm? No matter.
It came about after needing to trim large bowls on the treadle wheel. Since the treadle has a limited bat width because of it's mud box (splash pan) I had to go over the pan to use larger bats. For years (before I put bat pins on the wheel head) I would put a cookie of clay down on the wheel head, put a small bat on that, then another cookie, etc. until I cleared the pan. One day, I had an idea to build a custom bat that would do the same thing but be more efficient and I came up with the "super-bat". It's worked very well.
The only thing about the superbat is that trimmings invariably fall to the floor and make a bit of a mess. But no problem. I have found a place on the pot where trimmings tend to go neatly into the pan. See the following video.
I've got to get the MeTube video production crew back in here to keep up with the