Get in touch!

Use the form on the right to contact Michael Kline!

192 Jim Boone Rd
Bakersville, NC, 28705
United States


The central information hub for Michael Kline Pottery, a small one man shop of pottery making in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Thanks for visiting.

The Best of Sawdust and Dirt

A record of the goings on around Michael Kline Pottery!

Filtering by Tag: glaze tests

Further Examination: Mishaps

Michael Kline

Here are a few problems to be worked out. In general, I think it was a successful test load in the textbook sense, but in the creativeartisticbestquality [untranslatable German, don't bother even trying Google Translate] sense, there is a lot of work to be done.

What is going on in my potter's eye hasn't quite been realized in these pots. I guess that is to be expected. But while the deficit of what this material can do and what I really want it to do will be resolved after many many firings, I'm fairly pleased with results, thus far.

The first pot has the Double D clear glaze inside and out, with a motif painted on top with the LUG1 underglaze. (oh, it's underglaze? breaking the rules, ooops) See the bubbling on surface? Maybe it could be thinner in the future. The movement of the design is mildly interesting, mildly.

Here are two pots that were treated as I would have treated my home clay for the wood kiln and the salt glaze, except in this case we have an electric kiln and no salt! I was curious, and just wanted to see what would happen with these variables. They both were painted with my black wax resist, then dipped in the RJB crackle slip. The black wax has, [in it's propriety recipe ;-) ], a small amount of flux in addition to its other secret ingredients. ;-) What I take from these pieces is that the oxide content is not rich enough on it's own. In the salt kiln the salt "smooths out" the oxide and helps "glaze" it in place. The first cup had problems from the beginning. It is very thin and was fired to ^04 bisque, making it a bit less porous than my home clay fired to ^07 bisque. After drying it near my wood stove I brushed on the Double D/copper glaze. While, almost a complete technical disaster, I still think there's hope that this may work with some adjustments to the sequence, the fit of the slip, the richness of the oxides, and % flux in the wax.

In conclusion, I apologize for all the coded and not quite clear "tech talk". These posts are sometimes a way for me to verbalize some of my thoughts and public air my theories. Let me know what you think. Although I can't get around to responding to all of your comments, I certainly consider and appreciate them. Thanks for reading.

Pictures of Porcelain

Michael Kline

These pictures aren't the best. I hesitated to post these, but what the hell, it's been par for the course. It's no surprise that this segment of the process would be another steep learning curve. In this case the camera was having trouble focusing on the white, I think. Has anyone had trouble with auto-focus on white? I tried years ago to photograph an Alleghany Meadows bowl that had a subtle white semi matte glaze. I had to get another camera! My Nikon would NOT focus!
Looking at these pictures, though, is very revealing, showing black slip details as well as glaze details. Let me know what you think. Let's crowd source!

I'll take some more pictures after the next firing. More porcelain painting Friday as well as more plates in the home clay!

Good night to all of the night owls still up reading this and good morning to my friends in the British Isles!

unloading The eKiln

Michael Kline

Here is a video John and I made yesterday while we unloaded the eKiln. [eKiln=electric kiln] I do enough mumbling in the video so I'll reserve further comment here. But I'm happy to decode if you have questions!